Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snow day = movie day!

What with all the snow and layers of ice that decorated the world this morning, I chickened out and stayed home, which translated into vegging in front of the TV, watching the last of my Christmas DVDs. It was a lovely day.

Hellooooooo, ladies!
First up was San Antonio, the case for which notes, "Despite his Tasmanian roots and elegant British accent, Flynn made an ideal all-American cowboy. With his steely gaze, lean frame, and understated humor, he tamed the West in eight thrilling sagebrush sagas." Amen to that. He is a wonderful cowboy, basically because he is a wonderful anything. Pirate, pilot, boxer, George Armstrong Custer, I don't care, as long as he smiles that smile at me. Yum.

I worked my way through my Flynn Westerns box set this weekend, also viewing Montana, Rocky Mountain, and Virginia City. Flynn's sidekick in two of these films was S.Z. "Cuddles" Sakall, and I'm of two minds about that. On the one hand, "Cuddles" is absolutely adorable in everything he does, which usually includes a lot of bumbling (and how awesome is it that he always had his nickname in the credits?). On the other hand, there's few things more out of place in a Western than a chubby guy with a thick Hungarian accent. Alan Hale is my preferred Flynn buddy, but Sakall turned out to be an acceptable, if somewhat unsuitable, substitute. My all time favorite Flynn western, though, is Dodge City.

I also polished off the last of my Warners Gangsters Vol. 4 set with Invisible Stripes, and Kid Galahad. We'll talk about those next time.

No comments: