Friday, March 18, 2005

Bit Players I Love: May Robson

I’ve seen May in five movies (a number that surprised me; I thought it was more; maybe it’s the impression she made): Wife vs. Secretary, Anna Karenina, Reckless, Dancing Lady, and Dinner at Eight.

She also appeared in Bringing Up Baby, A Star is Born (1937), and, oddly enough, a 1941 movie called Million Dollar Baby. No idea what it was about. She appeared in 64 movies altogether, between 1915 and her death in 1942.

May was born Mary Jeanette Robison in Australia in 1858, and is the earliest-born actress to be nominated for an Oscar. She took up acting to support her three children after her first husband died, appearing on Broadway before going into motion picture work.

May was most often cast as a grandmother, mother-in-law, or servant. (In fact, some of her roles are described simply as "Grandmotherly Actress" and "Penny, the Housekeeper." Also a lot of "Aunt So-and-so" roles.) The first movie I saw her in was Dancing Lady, where she plays Franchot Tone’s little old deaf grandmother. (Aside: my spell check corrected Franchot as "Franc hot." He sure was, wasn’t he?) It’s a small part but she makes the most of it. When Franchot brings his new girlfriend Joan Crawford home to meet Granny, she trumpets, "So Todd’s brought a woman into this house at last! I didn’t think he had it in him! [looks Joan up and down] Good healthy stock! When’s the wedding?"

I think my favorite role was that of "Mrs. Granny Leslie" in Reckless. A mediocre movie that features poor Jean Harlow vainly attempting to portray a singing and dancing star, May plays Jean’s grandmother. Her best scenes are with William Powell, who plays Jean’s would-be suitor (who, of course, eventually wins her hand in the end). Some of their banter is just so cute and hilarious. (It doesn’t always translate well into writing; some of it is the way she speaks the lines.) Next time I watch the movie I'll jot down some quotes and add them here.

May died in 1942 and is buried in Flushing Cemetery with her second husband. Stop by and pay her a visit.

No comments: