Saturday, March 19, 2005

Double feature

Just got finished watching a double feature of Bombshell and Monkey Business. Bombshell I've seen several times before; it's not my favorite Harlow movie (although I love that it was so true to her life, whether that was intentional or not) but the behind the scenes glimpse of Hollywood was fun.

I enjoyed Monkey Business, although the silly kids games did go on a wee bit too long in some scenes. But Cary Grant and especially Ginger Rogers were adorable when they'd taken the potion and become young children, then ran around the board meeting chasing each other. I think Charles Coburn may become another "bit player I love," now that I've seen him in MB and also Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, although I don't know enough about him or his career to be able to tell whether he would qualify as a "bit player." He could have had an enormous career, for all I know at this point. (This just in: according to the IMDB, he won an Oscar in 1943 for Best Supporting Actor for The More The Merrier, and was considered a "top billed character star." Maybe I should change the title of my future profiles to "Character Actors I Love.")

Anyhow. It was a good movie and I enjoyed it. I'm not sure I'd rush out and buy it, but it was well worth a Netflix rental. I'm off now to watch the special features, which consist entirely of trailers of other Marilyn Monroe movies (since this disc was in the second part of the Diamond Collection ... and here's part one.)

P.S. George Winslow was also adorable. "What's the matter, don't you like children?" Wonder where he is today?

No comments: