Sunday, June 26, 2005

Make your own box set!

I can’t believe I didn’t think of this sooner. Well, actually, Borders thought of it already; I think it was last summer. Buy 3 DVDs, get the 4th one free, and you got a handy little sleeve that you could color yourself. I checked it out, but none of the movies appealed to me. Mostly action, sci-fi, that kind of stuff. I’m going to pretend I have the power to release movies on DVD, and create a few box sets that need to be created, posthaste. Major studios and Ted Turner, are you listening? Here we go...

Joan Crawford: The Best of the 1930s

  1. Dance, Fools, Dance
  2. Laughing Sinners
  3. Possessed (1931, obviously)
  4. Rain
  5. Dancing Lady
  6. Sadie McKee
  7. Chained
  8. Forsaking All Others
  9. Love on the Run

Okay, this would obviously be a rather hefty box set**, but I would totally buy it. The new Garbo one coming out this fall has seven sound movies (eight if you count both the German and English versions of Anna Christie) plus three silents and a documentary on ten discs for $69.94 (Amazon price). So how about nine Crawford movies for, say, $49.95? There are more good movies of hers from the 1930s, I just picked my favorites. You could also toss in Letty Lynton, I Live My Life, Gorgeous Hussy, The Last of Mrs. Cheyney, or The Bride Wore Red.


**Pausing to look over some of the other "signature collection" box sets, I see that 9 movies in a set wouldn’t be outrageous at all. Here’s how many movies are in various other box sets:
Cary Grant – 5
Judy Garland – 7
Hitchcock – 9
Errol Flynn – 5, plus a documentary
John Wayne – 4
Hepburn & Tracy – 3, plus a documentary
Elizabeth Taylor – 4

So the bigger, the better is now my motto!

Moving on, let’s take a look at Jean Harlow, who should have had a box set long ago.

Jean Harlow: The Signature Collection
  1. Hell’s Angels
  2. The Public Enemy
  3. Platinum Blonde
  4. Red-Headed Woman
  5. Red Dust
  6. Hold Your Man
  7. Dinner at Eight
  8. Bombshell
  9. China Seas
  10. Wife vs. Secretary
  11. Libeled Lady
  12. Saratoga

I think that would about do it. Most people would probably take out Hold Your Man as it’s not one of her better known films, but I included it because I adore it. Also Saratoga could go, because it is kind of morbid to play "spot the body double." So that would make it an even ten. There’s room to fiddle – I could easily take out China Seas and put in The Girl from Missouri. I find myself inexplicably fascinated with Reckless, but that was pretty much a bomb, so we’ll skip it.

How about...

Judy and Mickey: The Collection

  1. Babes in Arms
  2. Babes on Broadway
  3. Strike Up the Band
  4. Love Finds Andy Hardy
  5. Life Begins for Andy Hardy
  6. Andy Hardy Meets Debutante
  7. Girl Crazy

Or you could just whip up an Andy Hardy box set, although the last one, Andy Hardy Comes Home, has always seemed like a depressing idea to me.

Oh! How could I have almost neglected to mention...

Clark Gable: The Signature Collection

  1. Red Dust
  2. It Happened One Night
  3. Manhattan Melodrama
  4. Mutiny on the Bounty
  5. Test Pilot
  6. Idiot’s Delight
  7. Mogambo
  8. Run Silent, Run Deep
  9. The Misfits

I know I’m missing a lot here, because there are quite a few of his films I haven’t seen. I know there’s one or several documentaries out there, so toss your favorite in. Another idea would be a Clark Gable and Joan Crawford collection.

Norma Shearer: The Signature Collection

  1. The Divorcee
  2. A Free Soul
  3. Private Lives
  4. Strange Interlude
  5. Riptide
  6. The Barretts of Wimpole Street
  7. Romeo and Juliet
  8. Marie Antoinette
  9. Idiot’s Delight

I skipped The Women because it’s been released by itself as well as part of Joan’s new box set. Marie Antoinette should be released on DVD right now, just by itself, because it is a wonderful film, and Norma is fabulous in it.

Other random films that I’d love to see on DVD, not necessarily as part of a box set:

Jane Eyre
No Man of Her Own
I Love You Again
To Each His Own
Love Crazy
The Raven
The Black Cat (1934)

Okay, whoever owns the distributions rights to these movies, you’ve got your work cut out for you. Get cracking!

1 comment:

Joanna said...

You are so right! Wouldn't it be wonderful if someone would take the hint?!
I especially agree about the Mickey and Judy Set. I'm really excited about The Complete Thin Man Collection coming soon. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. :)